Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send Topic | Print
Normal Topic

Mobile reception of Ka band TV from NIMIQ 91 ?

( Read 3121 times)
Admin1
Forum Administrator

Welcome to the new forum

Mobile reception of Ka band TV from NIMIQ 91 ?
6th Jul, 2017 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
From email:

I am looking for a small dish with small nose cone or mini LNB to receiver Ka band Bell express Vu satellite tv, if at all possible a 10" dish mounted on a car so that we can watch TV in the car. I have friends that can help we build a satellite targeting system that will lock on to the NIMIQ 91 and keep the dish pointed at the satellite while in motion. Is there any other solution like a flat dish that can help me out. I know there are systems out there that are thousands of dollars, I am on a budget and I am thinking there might be a way to do this on the cheap.

Admin1
IP Logged

Admin1
Forum Administrator

Welcome to the new forum

Re: Mobile reception of Ka band TV from NIMIQ 91 ?
Reply #1 - 6th Jul, 2017 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Trying to make the mechanism, motor drive and control software for antennas that point at satellites while in motion has been attempted by many people.  It is a good fun project for a team of students or radio amateurs etc.

Operational systems for real operation while on the move are Sailor and Sea-Tel from www.cobham.com
Examples:
http://www.cobham.com/communications-and-connectivity/satcom/product-range/land-...
http://www.cobham.com/communications-and-connectivity/satcom/satellite-communica...

Things are moving quickly at Ka band with vast amounts of money being spent on phased array antenna developments.  If mass production gets going the costs could drop dramatically.

If you do try something with a 10" dish do check first that a fixed 10" dish will work well with a comfortable link margin. The downlink power from the satellite is critical. Check the coverage map includes area where you intend to travel.  A -3 dB change in the downlink satellite beam contour level means a dish of twice the area is needed.

Look at how others have managed to get systems working and learn from them.
Google for < satellite on the move antennas > and select < Images > to get ideas.

Best regards, Eric

Admin1
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic | Print
Bookmarks:    Facebook    Google    Google+    Linked in    reddit    StumbleUpon    Twitter