Normal Topic

Coverage Services Map

( Read 2808 times)
Leodgar

Coverage Services Map
15th Dec, 2017 at 5:32am
Print Post  
Hi Team ,

I got a coverage services map and i placed  the desire point to put terminal  on the map but  not lucky thd point is out  for about 10km away from beam line .
Is there any chance to get  service signal?

Regards
Leodgar

IP Logged

Admin1
Forum Administrator

Welcome to the new forum

Re: Coverage Services Map
Reply #1 - 15th Dec, 2017 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Detailed Satellite coverage beam maps show multiple contours, with reducing signal levels the further you are from the beam peak.  Typical contour levels are in 1dB steps.

Example: http://www.satsig.net/hylas/hylas-2-libya-beam-dish-pointing.htm

Simple beam coverages may be shown with just one contour line, typically -4dB down from beam peak. You need a specific dish size corresponding to the dB level.

It is possible to operate beyond such a -4dB beam edge contour if you use a larger dish or accept more frequent service outages during rain. In the outer regions of the coverage the contours are close together and uncertain. Signal levels may vary up and down with even slight mispointing of the satellite antenna.

If you are just 10km beyond the nominal beam edge I would expect your system to work almost normally. If you can't receive a signal your dish is probably not pointed correctly, wrong polarisation or wrong tuning.

If you have a satellite with fairly broad beams, attitude control and antenna pointing works well using infra red sensors that 'see' the earth's edge outline.

If the satellite has tiny spot beams then some means of tracking (in the satellite attitude control system) based on an uplink beacon earth station is a workable idea.

Admin1
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic | Print
Bookmarks:    Facebook    Google    Google+    Linked in    reddit    StumbleUpon    Twitter